Monday, February 14, 2011

The Top 10 Signs of Spring: #10 Roadkill

"...Deaaad sku-unk in the middle of the ro-oad..."
I don't know why I remember this as a song from my childhood, or even if there are other lyrics to it. But I do know that when we start to see (and smell) flat black and white (and red, let's be real) pavement pancakes, it means that winter is winding down.
Skunks, which are plentiful here on Cape Cod and all over New England, are very quiet all winter. They don't quite hibernate in the cold winter months, they just kind of take a post-Thanksgiving nap that lasts about til Easter. But as soon as even one warm day hits, they start to get the munchies and even start looking for a date. On this balmy Valentine's Day this spring harbinger was probably doing just that. Poor guy. He may have given his life to do it, but today my smelly speedbump friend also gave me hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment