Monday, February 22, 2010

Complacency Kills

Holding a commission-based position in an industry whose failure charcterized the worst recession in decades was (what gratitude I feel using the past tense) painful and demoralizing. It darn near did me in. But never once did I stop working my tail off, learning, keeping my chin up. Isn't that what they tell you to do? 'When the going gets tough the tough get going.' 'Invest in your future.' 'You will reap what you sow.'
Well I'm here to tell you the same thing. I lived through one year with zero closings. Then just last year I had two small ones in January, one in June and NOTHING til middle of December. Never mind my two front teeth--all I wanted for Christmas was to keep my house!
But now...holy cow. The first two properties I listed this year each sold in 6 days or faster. In the past 3 weeks I've had 8 listing appointments. At press time I've put 2 of those live, and it appears that 5 others will follow suit. The last one, partly on my advice, has elected to hold off until next year.
The abundance is humbling and electrifying. But more importantly I realize that this is not a time to rest. How easy it would be to kick back and soak it all up. But I have to remember that tomorrow's success is the dividend of today's investment. Success is unsentimental. It doesn't care who you used to be. I used to run a sub-25 minute 5K. I don't expect the field to slow down so I can place like I did in the past. If I want to keep winning, I have to keep running fast.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment